Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Write a play

“Lucy’s Trip to Town”

Characters: Lucy- a farmer’s daughter around 25 years old that very seldom leaves
the farm.
Dan- a handsome man around 27 years old that falls in love with Lucy.

Setting: The play takes place in a small town called Frosty Hollow, Oregon during early 1900’s. There is a muddy street that goes through the town and it is lined with market places for the residents to shop at. Lucy lives on the outskirts of town in an old rundown farm house with her family. Lucy does not leave the farm often but occasionally to get some supplies.

One day when Lucy decided to make a cake, she checked to see if she had enough ingredients. Lucy discovered that she did not have enough flour and decided to head into town to purchase some. While Lucy was walking through the market place, she saw this handsome man in the flour shop. Lucy walked into the flour shop and picked up a sack of flour and the handsome man offered to help her with it.

Dan: May I help you young lady with that sack of flour?
Lucy: Why thank you sir, I forgot how heavy they were.
Dan: I’m Dan; it’s nice to meet you.
Lucy: What a pleasure, I’m Lucy and it’s nice to meet you as well.
Dan: I haven’t seen you around here before, did you just move here?
Lucy: I live on the outskirts of town and I don’t come to town very often. Do you live in town?
Dan: Yes I live by myself right up the street behind the post office.
Lucy: Where is your family?
Dan: I grew up in Creek Side and moved here about 5 years ago to work on the railroad.
Lucy: Oh that’s good how do you like it here?
Dan: Yes so far I am enjoying my time here.
Lucy: That’s good, well I better start heading back to the farm. I’m baking a cake for my youngest sister. It is her birthday tomorrow.
Dan: Oh I see, would you like me to help you with getting the flour back to your home.
Lucy: That would be very nice of you, but I don’t want to bother you.
Dan: I would be glad to help out.

Lucy purchases the flour from the market place her and Dan head back to Lucy’s place.
The path to Lucy’s house is a small dirt path and it runs along a river most of the way. Lucy tales about how she would like to move off the farm and get work.


Lucy: Thank you so much for the help. I’m not sure how I would have gotten the flour home if you were not here to help.
Dan: Oh it’s a beautiful day for a walk and I don’t mind.
Lucy: I would love to live closer to town so I could get some work.
Dan: The post office by my house is looking for help if you are interested.
Lucy: That would be great, but the distance is too far for me to travel everyday.
Dan: I can tell the postmaster that you’re interested and see the room on top of the post office is still for rent.
Lucy: That would perfect. I would appreciate that greatly.

Dan and Lucy are still walking on the path to Lucy’s place. They pass through an area that is full of wild flowers and it smells delightful. Dan bends over and picks a pretty yellow flower and gives it to Lucy.

Dan: Here I picked a beautiful flower for a beautiful lady.
Lucy: Why thank you, that is so sweet of you.

Lucy is so glad and blushes.

Dan: I’m glad you like it.
Lucy: I used to pick these kinds of flowers for my mother when I was younger.
Dan: Is that your family’s farm up a head.
Lucy: Yes we are almost there. Only a few more minutes of travel left.
Dan: The path to your place was very nice. I’m glad I got the opportunity to meet you and help you out.
Lucy: I’m glad I meet you to. You are quite the gentlemen.
Dan: Thank you. I will check on the job and room for you and come out to your place and let you know if you would like.
Lucy: Yes that would be very kind of you.

Lucy and Dan arrive at Lucy’s place and Dan puts the flower on the table. Lucy introduces Dan to her family briefly and then Dan says good bye to Lucy and heads back to town. The next day Lucy bakes the cake for her youngest sister and is very happy because she meet a very nice man the other day. Around mid day, while Lucy is tending to the garden she sees a figure heading up the path to the farm. The figure turns out to be Dan with good news.

Dan: I have some good news for you.
Lucy: Oh is it about the job and room.
Dan: Yes, the postmaster will hire you and the room is still available.
Lucy: That’s great. I’m excited to start but I know my family will miss me greatly.
Dan: I’m sure they will. On your days off you can still come back to the farm and help out.

Lucy moves into town and starts her work at the post office. Lucy is a great worker and makes new friends in town. Her and Dan spend more time together and form a relationship. As time passes, Lucy is still very happy with her work and being with Dan. Dan and Lucy are very much in love and one day they meet up for lunch and Dan asks Lucy to marry him.

Lucy: I love living in town and working. I also like being closer to you.
Dan: I like you being closer to me too. Would you like to be my wife?
Lucy: Yes I would love to be your wife.
Dan: After we get married, you can move out of the room above the post office and move in with me. You can start a garden and plant all the wild flowers you like.
Lucy: I would like that very much. I cannot wait. My family will be so happy for me.
Dan: Would you like to go with me to Creek Side to meet my family?
Lucy: Yes I would love to meet them.
Dan: Ok great.

Dan and Lucy go to Creek Side and meet Dan’s family. They love Lucy and are very happy for Dan.

Lucy: You come from a wonderful family. I enjoyed my visit.
Dan: That’s good. I cannot wait for our families to meet at our marriage ceremony. They will get along just fine.
Lucy: I’m sure they will since they are both farmers. It’s time to start planning our marriage.
Dan: I will need to purchase a suit and you will need a dress.
Lucy: I can make my own dress and it will be gorgeous.
Dan: You will look beautiful no matter what you wear.
Lucy: I am looking forward to our special day and spending my life with you.
Dan: We will have a great life together and raise a wonderful family.

After a few months, Dan and Lucy get married in the church in Frosty Hollow. Many friends and family attend and it is a great celebration. Dan and Lucy are so happy with each other. Lucy moves in with Dan and starts a flower garden of beautiful wild flowers. They raise a family and live happily ever after.

The end!

No comments:

Post a Comment